Fr Michael, Pastor
Welcome to Saint Joseph, Wyandotte, MI
For over 140 years, the faithful have been coming to St. Joseph, the impetus of the German immigrants who longed to be able to listen to homilies and go to confession in their native tongue. The immigrants prevailed, and on November 5, 1871, St. Joseph was consecrated by Bishop Borgess. The church structure was built on the southeast corner of Elm and Fourth Streets for $8,000. Fr. Leonard Unterreiner became the first pastor and the parishioners were finally able to participate in the sacraments in German.
Economic conditions of 1873 forced St. Joseph's and St. Patrick's to share the same priest. Fifteen years later, Fr. Charles Sattele came to St. Joseph's to end the necessary sharing. Lightning struck the spire of the church in May, 1916. The water used to extinguish the flames damaged the interior of the church but subsequent repairs allowed the old building to continue to serve the faithful for over 80 years, until Fr. Albert George declared the building unsafe in 1950 and it was razed.
In the summer of 1955, Fr. Walter Hennes presented the need for a new church to the parishioners. With the help of his assistant, Fr. James Bodary, and a committee of lay people, the work began.
St. Joseph's has been guided and blessed by many pastors, which include: Fr. Henry Koenig, Fr. Anthony Kraus, Fr. Alexander Mayer, Fr. Francis Haick, Fr. J.L. Linsenmeyer, Fr. Albert George, Fr. Walter Hennes, Fr. Joseph Bohr, and Monsignor John Weier
In 1990, Cardinal Edmund Szoka assigned the parish to the Irish Pallottine Fathers. Their American headquarters had been established in Wyandotte in 1958 and serves as the center for the promotion of their work with the missions. The Pallottines belong to the Society of Catholic Apostolate whose goal is to increase, spread, and deepen faith throughout the world. The Irish Province is also engaged in missionary work in the Diocese of Mbulu, Tanzania, East Africa.
Here at St. Joseph's, the Pallottines have served our parish faithfully ever since their arrival in Wyandotte. We give thanks for several priests who have been associated with St. Joseph's (as well as other local churches), specifically: Fr. Vincent Cunningham, Fr. Tommy Ryan, Fr. James Carroll, Fr. Steve Keogh, Fr. William Costigan. Fr. Gerry Frawley was the first Pallottine to become Pastor of St. Joseph in 1990. In 2000, Fr. T.J. Moloney replaced Fr. Frawley and served for four years. Fr. Brendan Walsh became the next pastor in 2004 and in 2005 we were blessed with Fr. Michael Cremin, our current pastor. We are very fortunate to have had these humble holy men continue to provide a spiritual home for the present parish family.
Over the century, St Joseph has proudly become a melting pot of all nationalities; and is presently flourishing with nearly 1,000 registered families. In July 2010, our parish was clustered with St Patrick, Wyandotte and St Elizabeth, Wyandotte and Fr Michael Cremin was appointed Pastor of this newly formed 3 parish cluster. Sadly, on June 30th, 2012, St Elizabeth Parish celebrated her final closing Mass. St Elizabeth Church is now closed and officially merged with St Joseph Church. On April 10, 2013, Archbishop Allen Vigneron announced his decision of our new parish name--ST VINCENT PALLOTTI PARISH has been decreed to St Joseph Church & St Patrick Church. July 1 2013., St Patrick Parish in Wyandotte will fully merge with St Joseph Church and we will become ONE PARISH with two worship sites.